These days security should be taken seriously by people from all walks of life including schools, colleges and universities. In schools especially, the need for implementing security should be given top priority. Not just for the students but for the school faculty kids security and staff as well, security is important.
Security hazards not only arise from outside threats but can also arise from within an institution. Drug abuse, bullying, harassment are all security related issues that people may encounter even in a school setting. Therefore it is important that an institution is prepared for all sort of circumstances.
As the administration of a school, it is vital that you consider your students’ and staffs’ safety because they are your responsibility. There are a certain number of precautions that all schools and institutions should consider implementing.
- First thing first, you should have identification cards for student, faculty and staff. This validates that these people are part of your organization. You can have security that checks their guard to avoid unauthorized people from entering the premises of the school.
- Having security guards at your school is an option to keep into consideration. Security personnel can be directed to stay guard at the major entrances and exits of the school. This ensures that the guards are aware of who enters and exists the building.
- CCTV cameras can be installed at the entrance and exit of the school building. They can also be installed in the hallways, classrooms and faculty lounge. This makes sure that if any suspicious activity occurs it is notified immediately so that necessary action can be taken.
- Another precaution that should be employed by all schools is that students and faculty should undergo practice emergency drills. This will help people in knowing what to do in case of emergency.
- School should have security awareness sessions planned. This should be part of the students’ curriculum.
- If you have the budget, you should invest in making your classrooms bullet proof. It is better that you are prepared for emergencies.
- The boundaries of your school should be protected. You should invest in fencing that keeps intruders out and discourages pilferers from even thinking about entering the school premises.
- The school authorities should invest in holding mental health awareness programs. Since many security hazards arise from students not being able to cope up with disorders such as depression, stress and anxiety. It is important that this is discussed on a larger platform so that students feel comfortable in seeking help from outsiders.
- If students and faculty members to bring their vehicles, these should be properly checked.
These are some of the precautions that school administration should keep in mind when it comes to providing a safe and healthy atmosphere for its students and staff.