A security guard has to go through several years of rigorous training before they can take up their duties as security personnel. This does not only involve physical training, but requires mental fitness as well. Security personnel is often in dangerous situation. This is the reason why a security guard’s job is full of danger and risks. With such scenarios ever present in a security personnel’s life, it is vital that their training is of highest level.
Security guards are often exposed to jobs requiring long house. In these situations strength and mental alertness plays an important factor.
The person should be at least 18 years of age. You should have a clean criminal background.
Most security guard jobs require a high school diploma. To get an edge in getting selected for a security job, you can pursue an associate degree in criminal justice.
You should also have the license to carry a gun. You will need to have a security guard license to give you an edge in applying for security related jobs. You should check with the relevant department of your State because policies vary from State to State. You might also need training before getting a certification, so be prepared in case it is required.
You may have to appear in exams after training.
Whatever your qualification or certification is, following skills are an absolute must when it comes to applying for security related jobs.
- Communication: This requires not only speaking skills but also written skills. You communication skills be good enough so that people are able to understand you and also that you can understand others as well. This skill will help you in working as a team
- Physical fitness: Being able to withstand long hours, you should be physically strong. For this you need to exercise every day or at least four to five times a week.
- Mental sharpness: Being able to assess a situation for threat or risk, requires you to have a level of mental sharpness. As a security guard, it is your job to keep your clients safe and for this you need to react effectively to situations.
- Knowledge of the law: As a security personnel, you need to know the law so that you know when someone violates it. This will allow you to be aware of your authority s as a guard and when to alert authorities.
- Being able to work as a team and independently: You should be able to work as a team both as a team member and also as a leader. When leading the team, you should be assertive and when following you should be able to follow instructions of your team leader.
Security guards make over $20,000 annually, with some high end jobs paying more than $25,000 annually.