We exchange information with people on a daily basis, whether it is on the internet or otherwise. This makes us prone to hazards and security risks. We are currently living in the age of information and data.
There is not a person in this world whose information cannot be found. As a result, we are a subject to facing all sorts of threats from people who might be trying to take advantage of us. Therefore, it is vital that we understand the risks of sharing our personal information. We should be aware of two key things: what is the nature of the information that we are sharing and with whom.
On social media alone, you face risks. We saw what happened in the Cambridge Analytica case in which Facebook shared its users’ information without their consent. Wanting to have privacy is your fundamental right. No one has the right to share your information with other parties, especially without your consent.
Cyber bullying is another issue people face, when it comes to sharing information online. If harmful people can find your social media profile, it allows them to reach you and harass you on an online platform. They can sit behind their desks and cause you harm. It is as simple as that.
You need to be careful about the kind of information you are willing to share on the internet, so that you are better informed of the consequences that it may have.
Below we have presented a few points on how to keep your personal information on social media platform safe from harmful individuals.
- Your passwords should be private. It is recommended that you change your passwords frequently. If someone has a hold of your password, it means that they can access your private information, and things that you share with friends and family.
- Keep information such as date of birth, phone number and email address private. Providing such information basically means that you are opening lines of communication with all sorts of people. This may lead predatory people to reach you and cause you harm.
- Be careful when asked to share your social security number. You need to check the validity and credibility of the website.
- Allow notifications to your phone, when you sign in to social media accounts. So that in case some unauthorized person tries to access it, you are notified immediately and so that you can take necessary action.
- Turn off location when you are not using any app that is linked to it such as Google Maps.
When sharing your personal information offline, with individuals, make sure that they don’t put your safety as well as your family’s safety under risks. You also need to keep your personal documents including financial documents safe, under lock and key. You need to be responsible in this aspect.
Hope that these few tips will help you in keeping your provate information secure.
Meta Title: Keep your personal information secure
Meta Description: We exchange information with people on a daily basis, whether it is on the internet or otherwise. This makes us prone to risks, hazards and security risks.