You realize the importance of first aid training, when you are put in a situation involving an accident. Understanding and thus learning a few simple first aid skills can save someone’s life.
Here is guideline to help you in providing first aid to any person who is injured.
- You need to be calm and composed in an emergency situation. If you can, have the people around you to calm down as well. Having too many people losing composure can cause chaos and traumatize the victim. You need to take responsibility.
- Assess the situation. Find the area which is hurt, whether there is a broken bone, bleeding, concussion or burnt area.
- Get yourself familiar with ABC of life support. This is essential to make sure a victim is conscious or whether he/she requires immediate medical treatment:
- Airways open
- Breathing restored
- Circulation maintained
- Call emergency and get professional medical help. Inform them of your location and the victim’s situation.
For a basic first aid training you need to learn and get yourself familiar on the following topics:
- In case a person is burned, do not remove any clothing. Burns are of three degrees:
- First Degree Burns: The skin will appear red and suffer from mild swelling. It will be a little painful. Apply a wet cloth to cool down the burnt area.
- Second Degree Burns: The skin will be blistered, with the injured person feeling pain. These burns will require immediate medical help.
- Third Degree Burns: The burn will have resulted in tissue deformation with a black colored appearance. You need to seek medical help immediately.
- In case of cuts, you need to disinfect the skin for any bacteria. And cover it to avoid further infection. Avoid heavy bleeding, by applying pressure to the wound.
- In case a person is unable to breathe, you need to check for obstructed airway. Also check for pulse. To provide first aid, you need to hold the victim in a choke hold. Do not perform this if you are not experienced.
- In case of breathing problems, symptoms will include dizziness and light headedness. You will need to provide CPR. Before you can do this, you need to seek professional training from experts.
- In case of a broken bone or a simple fracture, avoid moving the victim because otherwise this will result in exacerbation of the wound. If the broken bone punctures the skin, you need to stop the bleeding first.
This guideline is only scratching the surface when it comes to providing medical assistance in case of an emergency.
To be able to provide proper care in case of an emergency situation, you need to seek professional training from experts. Remember half knowledge can be dangerous and you need to have a proper certification before you decide to provide medical assistance.